Buccleuch Park

In 1911, octogenarian Anthony J. Dey, a descendant of the City’s prominent Scott family, generously donated his home and these 88 acres of woodland and fertile farmland to the City of New Brunswick. His stated intention to the Mayor and City Council was to help make New Brunswick a more beautiful and wholesome home for his and future generations of the City. This well appreciated sentiment has continued to live through our decades.

Dey’s gift of the land and mansion in which he lived was proposed as a memorial to his grandfather, Col. Joseph Warren Scott.  Scott became owner in 1821, and named it “Buccleuch” after the Dutch town from which his large family hailed. The house was originally built in 1739 by Anthony White as a gift for his bride Elizabeth Morris. Their son, Anthony Walton White sided with the revolutionaries against the King in the American Revolutionary War. The property was first known as “The White House Farm” until it was sold to Scott.

Buccleuch Mansion has long been under the care of the Jersey Blue Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.). After an extensive renovation, the house will soon reopen. Check out next month’s History Corner for more information regarding the mansion, its history, and its reopening with docent-guided tours!

Did You Know…

New Brunswick was once called “Prigmore’s Swamp?”

That the 3rd public reading of the Declaration of Independence happened right here in New Brunswick in 1776?

Why there’s a street in New Brunswick called “Joyce Kilmer Avenue?”

Translate »
X