Urban Cleanup Week for 2014 is here!
From Monday, April 21 through Sunday, April 27, the city will host themed days where residents, businesses and volunteers will be invited to do their part to keep New Brunswick clean and green.
- On Monday, April 21, “Make Your Storefront Look Great Day” will invite businesses to clean up to 24″ into the street in front of their storefronts, wash their windows and sidewalks and remove graffiti and litter.
- On Tuesday, April 22, 5th graders from select schools in town will clean up litter in their school neighborhoods for “School Kids Sweep Up Day.” They will also be educated about litter and protecting the environment. The day will be highlighted by a Clean City Celebration and a “Slam Dunk the Junk” basketball tournament.
- On Earth Day, Wednesday, April, 23, New Brunswick residents may drop off paint, paint-related items, TV’s and computers at the New Brunswick DPW lot between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Free biodegratable leaf bags (20 per property) and free compost and mulch will be available, while supplies last.
- “Tidy-Up Thursday” on Thursday, April 24, will invite nonprofits and houses of worship in New Brunswick to clean up litter on their respective properties.
- On Friday, April 25, the first 200 New Brunswick residents to come to the Livingston Park Nursery, 1036 How Lane, will receive two free four-packs of annual flowers during “Flower Up Friday.” Additional flowers can be purchased for 20 percent off that day for New Brunswick residents only.
- Large volunteer groups will conduct litter cleanups throughout the city on Saturday, April 26 for “Large Volunteer Group Cleanup Day.”
- Residents will be asked to clean up litter on their lawns, sidewalks, curbs and 24″ into the street on Sunday, April 27 for “Sweep-up Sunday.”
For more information on the City of New Brunswick’s clean city programs, visit http://thecityofnewbrunswick.org/public-works/ or call (732) 745-5245.