Core Duties of the Municipal Clerk:
(1) act as secretary to the municipal corporation of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts, and archival records of the municipal corporation. The governing body may, however, provide by ordinance that any other specific officer shall have custody of any specific other class of record;
(2) act as secretary to the governing body, prepare meeting agendas at the discretion of the governing body, be present at all meeting of the governing body, keep a journal of the proceedings of every meeting, retain the original copies of all ordinances and resolutions, and record the minutes of every meeting;
(3) serve as the chief administrative office in all elections held in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes;
(4) serve as the chief registrar of voters in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes;
(5) serve as the administrative officer responsible for the acceptance of applications for licenses and permits and permits and the issuance of licenses and permits, except where statute or municipal ordinance has delegated that responsibility to some other municipal officer;
(6) serve as the coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated pursuant to Title47 of the Revised Statutes;
(7) perform such other duties as are now or hereafter imposed by statute, regulation or by municipal ordinance or regulation.
-N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133 e.