Annual spring hydrant flushing throughout the City will begin on April 24 and will last through the end of May.
Hydrants are flushed twice a year to remove iron deposits that build up in water mains. Discoloration may occur as a result of this process, but water remains safe for use.
Residents are advised to avoid using hot water or doing laundry until discoloration disappears.
Most City fire hydrants will be flushed between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. Some daytime flushing will occur as well.
The schedule for flushing during the week of April 24 is as follows. Flushing will take place nightly between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., unless otherwise noted:
- Monday, April 24: Livingston Avenue, Joyce Kilmer Avenue and Railroad Avenue
- Tuesday, April 25 (daytime flushing is scheduled for this day): Lee Avenue, Remsen Avenue, Throop Avenue, Commercial Avenue and Renaissance Lane
- Wednesday, April 26: Jones Avenue, Nichol Avenue, Prospect Street, Talmadge Street, Hazlehurst Street and Reservoir Avenue.
- Thursday, April 27: Rutgers Village neighborhood, Dewey Heights neighborhood and Raritan Gardens neighborhood
- Friday, April 28: No flushing is scheduled