Applications for employment with the New Brunswick PLAY S.A.F.E. program are now being accepted by the City’s Youth Services System.
PLAY S.A.F.E. (Summer Activities For Everyone) is a comprehensive summer program that provides New Brunswick children between the ages of 6 to 12 with a variety of activities like swimming, soccer, music, dance, video production, reading, games and trips in addition to academic preparation.
The City of New Brunswick provides a comprehensive summer program for the children ages 6-12 of the City. PLAY S.A.F.E. will operate from June 29 – August 7, 2015. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
The staff of the PLAY S.A.F.E. program include certified teachers and other staff of various schools. We also hire college students, New Brunswick parents, Work/Study students from Rutgers, New Brunswick teens (ages 16 and older) who have completed the Summer Teen Employment Preparation Program, and others who have been trained in positive work with children. This year, all full-time staff have been trained by the New Jersey School Age Care Coalition (NJSACC).
Employment applications for PLAY S.A.F.E. may be downloaded here.
Applications may be brought to the YSS offices of any New Brunswick elementary school or mailed to Youth Services System, P.O. Box 269, New Brunswick, NJ 08903.
All staff participate in an orientation and training program prior to the beginning of the program.
Below is a summary of many of the activities.
- A daily lunch is provided free to all participants. Lunch is also provided to other summer programs, including HUB Teen Center, Catholic Charities summer program, Civic League, AMAR Project, Youth Empowerment Services, and Vacation Bible School at local churches.
- Specialty programs have been developed to strengthen academic preparation of the children and to provide cultural development:
- Reading program, staffed by certified teachers;
- Arts & Crafts program staffed by specialists in craft activities for children;
- Dance Camp and dance classes taught by professional dance instructors;
- Music program in conjunction with dance program;
- Video/Media Program in which children are taught to use professional video equipment and to create videos;
- Environmental Program
- Alcohol and Drug Prevention program taught by persons trained in alcohol and drug prevention strategies;
- Nutrition and exercise program (CATCH)
- A swim program at Middlesex County College pool, an outdoor swim club, and at some State Parks trips. Lifeguards are present at all times when children are swimming.
- Trips to Liberty Science Center, Newark Museum, Museum of Natural History, other cultural institutions, State Parks, and other interesting places in New Jersey.
- Complete sports program, including basketball, soccer, softball, baseball, volleyball, and other sport activities.
- Bowling, skating and movie trips
In addition to the above special programs and activities, PLAY S.A.F.E. offers children a daily experience of a variety of fun activities. These include creative and cooperative games, crafts activities, playground games, board games (Chess, Checkers, Dominoes, etc.)
The last week of the PLAY S.A.F.E. Program will see two special events.
- PLAY S.A.F.E. Program GALA recital of the arts and alcohol prevention activities on Tuesday, August 4, 2015.
- FIELD DAY on August 6, 2015 at Buccleuch Park.
For more information about PLAY S.A.F.E., call (732) 745-5300, ext. 5488.
To view a description of program details in Spanish, please click here.