Summer is here and our students will soon be out and about for the summer.
To ensure a safe and fun summer for all, drivers and pedestrians are urged to keep safety in mind when traveling on City streets.
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Cars must stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. It is the law.
- Pedestrians should cross only in crosswalks to ensure their safety. Flashing crosswalks use lights to create more visibility, especially at night, creating safer conditions when crossing the road.
- Check both ways before crossing any street.
- Be on the lookout for children playing near the street.
- The speed limit on City streets is 25 mph, unless otherwise posted.
- Ride in the street and not on sidewalks to stay safe! Studies have shown that cycling on the sidewalk puts cyclists at greater danger at intersections.
Stay alert and stay safe!
For more information, check out this video discussing best practices when using flashing crosswalks in New Brunswick!